The next review date for domestic competition basketball will be Sunday 31 May in line with the Victorian Government’s extension to the State of Emergency as of Monday 11 May.
Return to Sport – Outdoor Activity (11/5/20)
The key changes announced means the following will be permitted:
- outdoor gatherings being permitted with up to 10 people
- indoor gatherings at home are permitted, with 5 visitors able to visit the normal residents of a household
- the ability to leave the house for exercise will be expanded to include outdoor recreational activities.
These activities can occur in groups of up to 10 people outside, but the requirements on physical distancing remain.
- for weddings 10 guests are allowed, plus the couple and the celebrant
- for funerals, 20 people will be allowed at an indoor ceremony and 30 people at an outside ceremony. This is in addition to the minimum people required to conduct the funeral
- religious gatherings and ceremonies will be permitted with up to 10 people, plus those required to perform the ceremony
While basketball is a predominantly indoor sport, there are a number of ways that people can participate in basketball activities utilising community accessible outdoor courts and open spaces.
Importantly, this must be done with a maximum of 10 people in any group activity, with no contact permitted, and applying social distancing and safe hygiene practices at all times. We have a helpful infographic guide to download and share with your participants.
We appreciate the announcement doesn’t allow for the use of indoor venues, however, we will continue to work with government to institute the appropriate guidelines that will see a return to indoor basketball at some stage in the very near future.